Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Mail Interview: Marita A. Hansen

   For the second time, I've have a mail interview with Marita A. Hansen from New Zealand. But as we both are busy, I asked the question which I feel important to shorten the time.
   Like Lisa Scullard, we came to know each other and be friends on authonomy.com, and it is not bad at all. And because of the power of friendship I can, now, publish an interview with her here.

   Oh, before we move on to the main part, let me tell you this - when Marita told me about her high-school sweetheart, my school sweetheart from the 5th grade came to mind. I can never forget her, I don't know where she is or what she is doing, whether she is still alive or not. How much I wish to see her again. If I'm not wrong, she went on to study and become a doctor, and maybe she is a doctor now.
 
   Me: What inspires you to write?
Marita: My imagination, the people I meet, things I've experienced, wanting to express myself, and a number of other things. Life in general.

   Me: What genres are you writing? what genres are you most interested in?

Marita: I write realistic fiction/urban fiction. My first book "Behind the Hood" was written for adults. Currently, I'm writing the prequel series "Graffiti Heaven," which is classified as edgy young adult (16+). My characters affect whether the book is for adults or teens. In "Behind the Hood" the ages of the characters aren't that much different from "Graffiti Heaven," but the content is decidedly darker. However, "Graffiti Heaven" still tackles hard topics, it's just done in a different manner, not so in your face.

   Me: How long have you been a writer? In other words, at what age did you start writing?

Marita: I've always been interested in writing, especially at High School, but during university I only wrote non-fiction. I have two degrees, the first in Art History and Italian studies, the second a postgraduate degree in Art History. I think I've been writing fiction for about seven or so years now, but at the beginning it was young adult fantasy, which was put aside for realism once I started "Behind the Hood."

    Me: As a writer, what is your motive/goal? I mean, your goal for the benefit of the readers?
Marita: To propel the reader into the world I've created, making them feel emotions (whether good or bad) for my characters, and leaving an impression upon them. I put a lot of hard work into my writing, and it does take a tole on me, so it's important to me that the reader likes my work. There are also personal aspects to my stories, characteristics of people I've met or know, and even some of my habits or thoughts may go into a particular character. Maia's grin (from "Behind the Hood") is from me. Like her character I grin when I'm in trouble, which is not a good thing as it can get me into more trouble :)

   Me: How many books have you published?
Marita: One at the moment. "Behind the Hood" was published in August of last year. "Graffiti Heaven" is due out August of this year. "Behind the Tears" is scheduled to be published towards the end of this year, but may come out at the beginning of 2013 (depending upon time constraints).

    Me: When you decide and begin to become a published writer what difficulties do you face and how  do you overcome?

Marita:  Finding the time to do everything (working long hours and juggling it with family commitments), being able to work with an editor (costs), formatting the book for e-book and paperback versions, motivation, the list goes on. Authors write for passion, otherwise they'd fall at the first hurdle and go back to their "safe" day jobs.

    Me: Which place would you like to visit the most? And, on which place would you like to spend all your life and with whom? hehe
Marita: I'd love to visit Italy the most. And, I'd like to spend my life in New Zealand with my husband.

   Me: Do you have any words, especially encouraging words, for beginners who just tread in the path of book world?' 
Marita: Keep writing your ideas and stories down. Your first tries at fiction may not lead to anything, but you are still learning and you will grow as a writer and with persistence you could succeed in publishing your stories. Join online writer communities, because the connection with other writers in similar circumstances can be very helpful. And the main thing is to persevere. If someone knocks you down, like a bad review on a writer's site or an agent coming back with a no, just believe that it will not always be like this.

Wow! thank you so much Marita, and I wish you all the luck and best in your life.
Marita is currently living in Singapore with her husband of 18 years, who she called her high-school sweetheart. And with their two children of fourteen and nine years old.
This, maritaahansen.blogspot.com is her beautiful blog.



*******




To discover more, See Table of Contents of this Blog book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Thirty Days Three Popular Posts